Friday, February 18, 2011

Children and Contraception

Birth Control seems to be a rising controversy. I think it really comes down to a person’s own personal view of sex, or even society. Many people believe sex is solely intended for procreation, and thus birth control should not be used because it is a barrier to procreating. This often stems of religious views. A few of my close Catholic friends have experienced trouble and inner turmoil when trying to decide whether to use birth control. The Church advises against it and their families stood firmly against the use. However, these girls did not necessarily agree with the opinions being thrown at them because they wanted to be safe and prevent against unplanned teen pregnancy. In some less fortunate countries, it is necessary for a woman to provide a large family in order to have children to work a farm or field etc. Also, access to contraception may be extremely limited due to supply or cost.  Across the world, many cultures believe it is a blessing to have a large family, so the use of contraception may be frowned upon. I grew up in a typical Southern Baptist family. I had severe cramps every month growing up, thanks to Mother Nature. I started taking birth control to dull the effects of the womanly cycle so I could actually participate in life. Well, I met my first love and we had sex. My family found out and freaked out because they thought I would not have made the same decision if I hadn’t been taking birth control. On the other hand, abortion is an even more extreme topic and would cause huge divisions in my family. I’m not ready or capable of taking care of a baby at this point in my life, so ultimately, it is my decision and I continue to take it.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's unreasonable to have your priest decide if you should start a family or not. It's responsible of a married couple to weigh the odds and realize that they are in a financial or emotional place that won't be healthy for a child. It may be because they are unable to provide financially or because they aren't ready physically and emotionally. I believe in God but we make mistakes. The contraception decision should be between the husband and wife. If a child is born and the parents can't afford childcare will the priest come running over? Probably not, I respect men of God but we have to rely on our relationship with him to guide us as well not just what comes from the pulpit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I was brought up Catholic, and have always been somewhat of a "free-spirited feminist." I didn't agree with the patriarchal views on women and contraception, or particularly their views on homosexuality. The Catholic Church used to preach sodomy was a mortal sin. Today the Church teaches that sex is for procreation, and because homosexuality can not produce a child, engaging in intimate homosexual acts is wrong. While the church no longer believes being a homosexual is a sin, it does stand by it's views on procreation. There was much I didn't agree with in a fundamental way, regarding the Catholic Church, so I simply left and converted to a religion more befitting my views. I do not think anyone has a right to tell a woman what she can or can not do with her body to prevent pregnancy. I am certainly grateful to live in a country where contraception is legal, accessible, and encouraged.

    Krystal Zavadil

    ReplyDelete